Welcome to episode forty-eight of the Honest Mamas Podcast. Today, Melissa speaks to Allison Purer, LCSW about the work / life balance as a successful entrepreneur.
Allison specializes in helping people recover from eating disorders, sexual trauma, and anxiety disorders. She has worked with people struggling with these issues since 1998 and has seen clients work through them and live healthy, happy lives full of meaning. She is firm but compassionate and is committed to her clients’ healing.
Eating disorders take over your life. Allison’s clients find themselves in a cycle of feeling not good enough then virtuous for choosing the “right” food then back to feeling not good enough. Sometimes they purge. Sometimes they over-exercise. Sometimes they binge. Sometimes they restrict. These behaviors feel like they help in the moment but by the time clients call her, they realize they don’t have the life they keep trying to earn through thinness/fitness/”admirable self-control.” Her clients look like they have it all together and barely anyone knows they’re struggling.
Allison’s clients want to stop thinking about food and bodies so much. They want to stop comparing themselves to other women. Part of them wants to be able to order what sounds good, eat it, and not think about it again but they’re also terrified to let go.
What you’ll hear in this episode
- How Allison handles family life and being an entrepreneur
- The need to disconnect from social media to have better family time
- Creating a business model that works around your life
- Understanding that financial gain doesn’t guarantee happiness
- Overcoming post-partum depression
- Milk sharing; ways new mamas can help each other out
- How strict work boundaries can help you be more productive
- Tips for women who are looking for a change in career