Welcome to episode 41 of the Honest Mamas Podcast! Today, Claire speaks to Sean Grover, LCSW, about his book; When Kids Call the Shots: How to Seize Control from Your Darling Bully — and Enjoy Being a Parent Again.
Sean Grover, LCSW, is an psychotherapist, speaker and author with 25 years experience working with adults and children. He maintains one of the largest group therapy practices in the U.S. and leads over 300 groups a year in his practice, in addition to monthly workshops in clinics, medical centers, youth organizations, and schools.
Sean began his clinical career as a school social worker in some of the most notorious and gang-ridden areas of New York City. Sean recalls, “My first school office was a broom closet with no windows and a broken light switch. I remember my supervisor wishing me well as she closed the door and left me in complete darkness.”
During those early years, his affinity for working with youth and connecting with their families led to the rapid expansion of his programs, supported by significant private and public funding. For his innovative youth programs, Sean was honored with two awards from New York Times Neediest Cases Fund.
Sean’s book, When Kids Call the Shots: How to Seize Control from Your Darling Bully — and Enjoy Being a Parent Again, has gathered rave reviews and received a starred review for best new non-fiction from Publishers Weekly. To date, it has been translated into Russian and Chinese.
What you’ll hear in this episode
- Insights from Sean’s parenting experience
- How parenting is changing and how we can adapt
- The ways in which the roles of parents have changed and what that means for you
- How the bully dynamic develops in a parent / child relationship
- Learning to put your ego to the side
- The importance of community support
- Understanding that to help your child, you’ll have to work on yourself as a parent
- Knowing that it’s ok to not be perfect 100% of the time