Welcome to episode forty of the Honest Mamas Podcast! Today, Melissa speaks to Alexa Wilding about finding strength through her son’s cancer diagnosis.
Alexa is a musician, writer, and a twin mama. Tagged “the neo-Stevie Nicks” by The New York Times, Alexa’s third album “Wolves” (2016) was called “an intimate howl” by Lena Dunham’s Lenny Letter. The record was written in the hospital while she saw her son, Lou, successfully through cancer treatment.
Alexa has also shared this experience and its impact on her life as an artist on platforms such as The Glow, Mother and Style Like U. Her recent video on postpartum body acceptance for Allure magazine’s “Dispelling Beauty Myths” series went viral within 24 hours, empowering women all over the world to embrace the journey from maidenhood to motherhood.
After completing an MFA in Writing at The Writer’s Foundry, Brooklyn in 2017, Alexa and her family relocated to the Hudson Valley. She is currently working on her first book.
What you’ll hear in this episode
- Insights into Alexa’s experience of caring for a son diagnosed with cancer
- Learning to accept that part of being a mother is not being able to control everything
- The importance of looking after yourself so you can look after others
- The need for Alexa to create a space of comfort at the hospital
- Understanding that it’s ok to ask for and receive help
- Learning to transition from care in the hospital to no care at home