Welcome to episode twenty-five of the Honest Mamas Podcast. Today, Sophie speaks to Susan Bradford about the ritual and self-care during pregnancy.
Susan Bradford, LVN, CHD, CCE, CHT, is a holistic perinatal educator, Certified Holistic Doula (retired), Certified Hypnotherapist and Birth Ceremonialist. She began her passionate path into childbirth in the early 1970s. Susan has a background in Ob/Gyn nursing and midwifery training. Since 1990, she has offered her services in Marin County, California. Besides various childbirth related classes, she also offers pregnant mothers’ circles, Birth Blessings & Welcoming Ceremonies, birth art sessions, and private consultations. Susan is a Certified Hypnotherapist offering support in all childbirth related issues. Of all the things she has done in her life, she is most proud of being the mother of a delightful and creative adult daughter.
What you’ll hear in this episode
- Why ritual practices are important during pregnancy
- The importance of return and coming back to one’s self
- Carving out space and time for ritualistic work
- The kinds of ceremonies pregnant women can do
- How gifts and acts of symbolism can be very important
- The value of a closure ceremony
- What pregnant women can do when they are on their own
- How finding out about your own birth can prepare for pregnancy